Saturday, November 17, 2012

Movie review, a lingering sense of Bond Deja-vu

It's been a while since i posted a movie review and the reason is simple, haven't been to the cinema for a while, nothing really called out to us, nothing tugged our film strings but inevitably the hype and PR for the latest Bond oeuvre got Mrs Stuffy ever so excited so eight of us (over £100!!!) set off multiplex-ward to dine wine and opine on Mr Daniel Craigs latest adventure.


It is a very well made movie exciting, thoughtful in parts, with a splendid performance by Javier Bardem bringing some real, dimension, depth and ambiguity to the baddy role. 

Although there were some significant problems with the storyline the locations, stunts and actions sequences were excellent and Craig, Bardem and (I don't want to spoil it for you but) Judi Dench in her final appearance as M all deserve credit. The rest of my party, without exception adored it and Mrs Stuffy was thrilled, so why, dear reader was I relatively unmoved? 

I think it's a matter of over-trailering, a portmanteau word I've just coined to capture the numbing effect of the remorseless Sony PR machine, pumping out trailers, thinly disguised puff pieces as interviews, TV adverts, and adverts posing as 'making of' documentaries, faux news stories, chat shows, by the time I sat in my seat, clutching my very reasonably priced popcorn I felt a little, "seen it all before" which is a damn shame, because it is a very good film.

A disappointed Haiku

They say, "delightful"
"it's an eyeful is skyfall"
for me, it's a trifle

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home