Saturday, February 17, 2007

A (very) late Burns supper on Friday night ...

... as always triggered by my desire to get my moneys worth from the kilt which I bought for my wedding, a splendid thing in the traditional McStuffy tartan. A starter of filo tartelets, stuffed with haggis under a brioche and herb crust, Collops of venison (from these chaps) with a sloe gin sauce, served with Rumbledethumps (that's neeps/tatties and shredded savoy cabbage) followed by Cranachan Parfait, a recipe supplied by the chef from Ackergill Tower, scene of the magnificent Stuffy nuptials a few years hence.

I've been informed by my lovely spouse that I was drunk, argumentative and rude to our guests.
So, got the hang of the Scots thing then!

4 Comments:

At 6:38 pm, Blogger Mark McLellan said...

Steve.
Thanks for the comment. Do you remember Cleo trying to climb the chimney at the BBBS and leaving sooty paw prints across your floor one evening of Mah Jongg? I might have to comment that to my own postiing.
Mark

 
At 12:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, it all sounds absolutely delicious, but what are neeps?

 
At 8:14 pm, Blogger Stuffy said...

Neeps, for the Sassenachs amongst ye, are swede, which I think is Rutabaga in the US.

Neeps and tatties is a classic Scottish dish, baking them with a little cabbage or spinach, and some grated cheese makes, ()to my mind) a more attractive dish. By the way I did a celeriac and swede gratin today, delicious !!!

 
At 11:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the vexed question of neeps: The Scots call the orange things turnips, not swede (in fact, "neeps" is probably a short form of "turneeps"). We call the nasty bitter little white things swedes (no offence intended to any inhabitant of Scandinavia, by the way).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home