Sunday, July 26, 2009

Movie review - Harry Potter and the bloody half-prince



Mrs Stuffy informs me that the reason I'm less than enamoured with this latest Potter fable is that I'm "not a fan", she is, unusually, wrong. I enjoyed the first couple of books, I loved the first couple of films, I just feel I'm suffering from repetitive wand syndrome, it's a little bit too much more of the same.

In the first few films I enjoyed the original and stunning mix of architecture, graphics and landscape around Hogwarts, I was gripped by dragons, enthused by the realisation of Quidditch and delighted by the way the whole arcane magical boarding school concept was pictured on screen.

Nowadays, not so much.

There's a real focus on the relationship element and frankly teen angst is just teen angst and the addition of cloaks and broomsticks makes it no less irritating and silly to those who've been there ourselves and subsequently "enjoyed" the experience with our own little darlings.
So, too much snogging, too much setting things up for the next movie, insipid baddies, the relentless similarity of each story to it's forebears which meant that I kept encountering characters I believed had already been extinguished or immolated.


All in all, for me, it was, at best, OK, for Mrs Stuffy (who is you will remember a fan), an enjoyable experience and a welcome chance to contribute again to the Rowling pension fund.


A sorcerous haiku ?

The Hogwarts Rowling express,
Acne and anguish afflict
Potter pabulum.

1 Comments:

At 3:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto - felt like it was a case of yada, yada, yada, yawn

Tricky dicky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home