Thursday, April 08, 2010

Movie Review - Comic Book Mayhem - Kick Ass


I've a grown-up attitude to comics, I don't try and rationalise or justify , I don't wax lyrical about 'graphic novels' or 'anime as an art form'. I used to enjoy the occasional Batman or Spiderman comic and nowadays I enjoy the cinematic reinterpretation of most of them. I don't like junk food but I do like trashy entertainment and the current must see in that genre is Kick-Ass (kick arse as my beautifully articulated spouse pronounced it). It's a film that has been highly hyped and well trailed on the magical interweb, twitter and almost every other media channel. It's mentioned in almost every other breath by Mr J.Ross, inevitably as his wife scripted it and since, in my view she did a pretty good job, why not?


It's a comic book made real, a heady mix of teen angst, engaging characterisation (from the film-stealing Hit Girl to the smooth but explosive villain) everyone has a clearly defined and well structured personality. The fight scenes are stunning and the dialogue clever and for those of us with a passion for movies and trivia it's simply loaded with quotes, tributes and references to many, many movies from the Joker in the Dark Knight, the Layer Cake Range Rover to Gene Hackman's blind hermit in Young Frankenstein.




Partly because of this I was captivated, I enjoyed it enormously, a foul-mouthed, bloody, cynical, fast-paced black comedy that doesn't take itself too seriously, Tarantino and John Woo should be flattered by the attention that Matthew Vaughn has shown to mimicking their use of music and the choreography of martial arts. Those of my readers who enjoyed Kill Bill or are happy leafing through a graphic novel in Waterstones should be hot-footing it to the multiplex. Enjoy

Haiku time ?

OK

A comical ask
Tarantinoesque task
The winners wear masks



2 Comments:

At 12:53 pm, Blogger Mark McLellan said...

Excellent film. Got to see it on the big screen because I am home alone for the month of April. Is it me or was there a lot of toungue-in-cheek? I nearly applauded several times but my British reserve stopped me just in time.

 
At 3:36 pm, Blogger IzinSing said...

Haven't seen the film
LOVED the haiku - your best yet, if not the best haiku in the world of haikudom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home