Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Movie review-Boldly go to the Cinema, you'll enjoy Paul


I'm one of those very lucky people who gets to do what they really enjoy doing for a living, and if I had to offer career advice to our two beautiful girls, (as I often do whether requested or not) I'd suggest as a good rule, "find something you enjoy and then work out how to make money from it".

Simon Pegg seems to have taken my advice to heart, you can't help feeling that the making of every film he's been involved in, particularly when accompanied by Nick Frost, is just a barrel of laughs for those making the film, now some movies where you get that sense, (I'm thinking, RED, Oceans 12 to name but two) the audience (well, this bit of it anyway) don't get nearly as much out of it as the cast. That's not the case with Paul.


Pegg and Frost are obviously serious comic book buffs and fans of science fiction and the characters they play don't seem too far from playing themselves, yes it is a bit chock-full of movie nods and references, it sometimes feels like an extended spot-the-link exercise, that's great fun for the sci-fi trivia nerds amongst us, (yes, me) but I saw this with 5 non-geeks and they all enjoyed it very much.

It's an undemanding tale which skips over many things that could have been explored in a little more depth, (I'd have liked the fundamentalist Christian theme to have been given a harder time) but as a lighthearted comic romp, with like-able characters, some great gags, a coherent story, enough twists to make it intriguing and a nice approach to not taking itself too seriously it really worked for me and my chums.
By the way, a word of caution, in the UK it's a 15 certificate, my fifteen year old went in already equipped with the vocabulary of a blasphemous oil-rig worker but yours may still have some sensibilities left.
Enjoy...

A sci-fi movie buff haiku...

Did they miss any
nerdy movie, quote or show?
"I don't think so Dave"*




*Did you see what I did there?

3 Comments:

At 9:24 am, Blogger Davebo said...

:-)

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger Mark McLellan said...

"Get away from her, you bitch!" at Sigourgney - no less - made me LOL. SWMBO didn't spot hardly any references and I sure I missed loads. Good larf though.

 
At 3:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent article thanks for sharing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home