Friday, October 02, 2009

Movie review => District 9 ... and it turns out I've an allergy to analogy

Apologies, gentle reader, I've been a little tardy in posting my response to this movie and I suspect that is partly because I was not sure about it, not whether I liked it, I didn't really, but more about whether it was a good movie.

It has that trendy hand-held faux documentary look to it, it sets up the situation well and it tells the story well, albeit with a heavy hand on the yuck! button. The yuckiness and the motion-sickness-inducing camera effect made Mrs S less than comfortable but for me it was the vast number of gaps, holes, inconsistencies, illogicality's and implausibilities that the film generated.

I've a resistance to being forcibly subjected to continual beating with the analogy stick and the combination of that and the repeated reliance on "just accept it" stretched my ability to allow the film makers license well past my tolerance point.

It's a clear case of 'emperors new clothes' for me and I found the emperor to be skinny, lacking in substance and generally unappealing once the (admitted) finery of CGI was stripped away.

3 Comments:

At 3:09 pm, Blogger IzinSing said...

Oh dear. C really wanted to see this one. Not sure how to break the news. can you write a wee haiku to help?

 
At 5:11 pm, Blogger Stuffy said...

Apologies gentle reader, as requested, a cautionary haiku

Full of holes and gore
The metaphors start to bore
Stuffy cries "no more!"

 
At 9:31 pm, Blogger IzinSing said...

Oh, double dear. He's on his own with this one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home